Department of English
The Department of English has a magnificent standard beginning from the establishment of the college in 2009. The UG Programme was started in 2009 and the PG Programme in 2010. The Department of English offers wide range of specializations under the credit based system. It is the largest department in the college.
The English Department offers B.A. English as a major and Part II English to all Under Graduate students. A student who has completed her H.Sc. or its equivalent is eligible to register for the B.A. course.
• Enable the students to communicate effectively and efficiently in English
• Creating an awareness of the rising status of English language in the global scenario.
• Providing platforms of encouragement for curricular and co-curricular activities.
The syllabus encourages the students to develop their communication skills. The syllabus includes English for Competitive Examinations, Spoken English, Creative Writing and Media Writing. The syllabus further exposes the students to period/genre based texts, literature of contemporary relevance and career based papers. Today, a student trained in the department has a wide spectrum of choices she can make not only in English Literature, Linguistics and English Language Teaching but also in areas such as Advertising and Journalism.
Along with their significant focus on academic performance, faculty members train the students in communicative skills to gain language competence and confidence. The staff members have produced very good results during the university examination and around 60% of the students have obtained First class.
Inter Departmental courses like Basics in computer, Tally, Human Rights , Environmental studies and Value Education are being offered to the students of the department.
• Students who are able to speak English confidently are selected and coaching is planned to be given weekly once.
• Classes will be taken for the remaining students in two batches at Keerthi Hall by a staff from English Department-weekly twice.
• Guest lectures are organized periodically.
• Texts are brought alive through enacting dramas and or through showing related movies, videos etc.
• Coaching is being given to the final year UG and PG students to excel in Quantitative Aptitude General Knowledge, General English. These training sessions would enable them to face competitive examinations and get placed in a right job through Inter-departmental efforts.
Research papers presented by the staff members:
¤Ms.N.Kalaiarasi, Head, Department of English presented a paper on Eco-Consciousness in Margaret Atwood's 'Surfacing' conducted by Nirmala College of Arts and Science, Madurai.
¤Ms.T.Janani presented a paper on the topic 'Socio-cultural issues in Amitav Ghosh's "The Shadow Lines” 'at P.K.R Arts and Science College, Gobichettipalayam.
¤Ms.T.Janani also presented a paper on 'Law and Justice in the play's of Shakespeare- Measure for measure' at Kongunadu arts and Science College, Coimbatore.
¤ Ms.L.Jeevitha presented a paper on the topic 'Thiruvalluvar Vs.Bacon' at P.G.P Arts and Science College, Namakkal.
¤Mrs. S. Amutha presented a paper on the topic 'Second language teaching' at Bannariamman institute of Technology, Erode.
¤Ms.R.P.N.Ezhil, Assistant Professor, Department of English has presented a paper on the topic Nature and Human Relationship in William Golding's "Lord of the Flies” conducted by Nirmala College of Arts and Science, Madurai.
English Literary Association
English Department organizes various activities Click for more...